Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Bush on Fire

I've moved! I'm living in a dorm at college now. It's a bit crazy and not everyone's moved in yet, but I already feel like I have a few dozen new sisters on my floor. It's a pretty cool experience, I'm just hoping I can manage to balance my studies with my new friends.

Anyway, Exodus (Shemot) 3 today!

Shemot 3:1-3 "Now moses was tending the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian. And he led the flock to the back of the desert, and came to Horeb, the mountain of Elohim. And the Angel of Yahuah appeared to him in a flame of fire from the midst of a bush. So he looked, and behold, the bush was burning with fire, but the bush was not consumed. Then Moses said, 'I will now turn aside and see this great sight, why the bush does not burn.'"

I thought Zipporah's father's name was Reuel... Maybe he had two names? Also, I imagine even the most focused among us would probably stop and stare at the burning bush whether it was being killed by the fire or not. We as a species seem to have a fascination with fire. Think about it, have you ever just zoned out staring at a candle's light? A campfire? Moses is being completely distracted from the job at hand, but that's exactly what Yahuah wants to happen.

Shemot 3:4-6 "So when Yahuah saw that he turned aside to look, Elohim called to him from the midst of the bush and said, 'Moses, Moses!' And he said, 'Here I am.' Then He said, 'Do not draw near this place. Take your sandals off your feet, for the place where you stand is holy ground.' Moreover He said, 'I am the Elohim of your father - The Elohim of Abraham, the Elohim of Isaac, and the Elohim of Jacob.' And Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look upon Elohim."

I believe it's safe to guess that Yahuah hasn't walked among the humans in awhile... His chosen people has been reduced to slaves in a foreign land and the blood of their baby boys stained the Nile. However, He's talking now and Moses is rightfully a bit freaked. Chances are good you would be too if you just realized you were speaking with the King of the Universe.

Shemot 3:7-10 "And Yahuah said, 'I have surely seen the oppression of My people who are in Egypt, and have heard their cry because of their taskmasters, for I know their sorrows. So I have come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians, and to bring them up from that land to a good and large land, to a land flowing with milk and honey, to the place of the Canaanites and the Hittites and the Amonites and the Perizzites and the Hivites and the Jebusites. Now therefore, behold, the cry of the children of Israel has come to Me, and I have also seen the oppression with which the Egyptians oppress them. Come now, therefore, and I will send you to Pharaoh that you may bring My people, the children of Israel, out of Egypt.'"

Keep that list of names in mind; the Canaanites, Hittites, Amonites, Perizzites, Hivites, and Jebusites. They come up several times throughout the Bible, though in a not-so-good context. They're not known for happily sharing the Land of Milk and Honey with the Israelites...

Shemot 3:11 "But Moses said to Elohim, 'Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh, and that I should bring the children of Israel out of Egypt?'"

Good question. Answer?

Shemot 3:12 "So He said, 'I will certainly be with you. And this shall be a sign to you that I have sent you: When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you shall serve Elohim on this mountain.'"

Well? What more do you need?

Shemot 3:13 "Then Moses said to Elohim, 'Indeed, when I come to the children of Israel and say to them, "The Elohim of your fathers has sent me to you," and they say to me, "What is His name?" What shall I say to them?'"

Moses, you don't know the name of the Being you're talking to? I suppose growing up in an Egyptian court, you have an excuse... But not a very good one.

Shemot 3:14 "And Elohim said to Moses, 'I AM WHO I AM.' And He said, 'Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, "I AM has sent me to you."'

What does this mean? I really don't know. I wonder if the Hebrew was maybe mistranslated... Or maybe Yahuah just decided being vague would be the best way to go. Why was this in all caps? As far as I know, there are no capital Hebrew letters... If a letter is changed from one form to another in a word, it is usually at the end of the word rather than the beginning. In the Torah, what this was translated from, there is no punctuation at all either. It's a really strange line and it doesn't seem to make much sense.

Shemot 3:15-17 "Moreover, Elohim said to Moses, 'Thus you shall say to the children of Israel; Yahuah Elohim of your fathers, the Elohim of Abraham, the Elohim of Isaac, and the Elohim of Jacob, has sent me to you. This is My name forever, and this is My memorial to all generations.' Go and gather the elders of Israel together, and say to them, 'The Yahuah Elohim of your fathers, the Elohim of Abraham, of Isaac, and of Jacob, appeared to me, saying, "I have surely visited you and seen what is done to you in Egypt; and I have said I will bring you up out of the affliction of Egypt to the land of the Canaanites and the Hittites and the Amorites and the Perizzites and the Hivites and the Jebusites, to a land flowing with milk and honey."'

What exactly is a land flowing with milk and honey? Dictionary.com suggests that it is a poetic name for the promised land, and also for any land of great abundance.

Shemot 3:18-20 "'Then they will heed your voice; and you shall come, you and the elders of Israel, to the king of Egypt; and you shall say to him, 'Yahuah Elohim of the Hebrews has met with us; and now, please, let us go three days' journey into the wilderness, that we may sacrifice to Yahuah our Elohim." But I am sure that the king of Egypt will not let you go, no, not even by a mighty hand. So I will stretch out My hand and strike Egypt with all My wonders which I will do in its midst; and after that he will let you go.'"

It's clear that Yahuah knows exactly what he is going to do and what is going to happen. There's really no question, Pharaoh will fight through the wonders and then give up. What could be so terrible that he would give up his entire slave labor force though?

Shemot 3:21-22 "'And I will give this people favor in the sight of the Egyptians, and it shall be, when you go, that you shall not go empty-handed. But every woman shall ask of her neighbor, namely, of her who dwells near her house, articles of silver; articles of gold, and clothing; and you shall put them on your sons and on your daughters. So you shall plunder the Egyptians.'"

How about that? Make friends with the enemy and they'll give you parting gifts. Will it be from the goodness of the neighbor's hearts or because they REALLY want the Israelites out? Hmm... Stuff to ponder...

As for homework, check out The Ten Commandments, which is another story of Moses' life much like The Prince of Egypt. It's much more geared toward adults rather than children though, so be aware of that when you rent it. Also, it's a very long movie so pop the popcorn and plan on starting it sometime in the morning or early afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment