Sunday, January 10, 2010

Second Shabbat of the Year

Shabbat Shalom!

(Hey, just want to let you know that this post was extra long and I couldn't finish it all in one day, which is why I'm saying Shabbat Shalom and the post editor thingy is saying it was published on Sunday.)

Today's reading is Genesis (Beresheet) 24-28:9

Beresheet 24:1-4 "Now Abraham was old, well advanced in age; and Yahuah had blessed Abraham in all things. So Abraham said to the oldest servant of his house, who ruled over all that he had, 'Please, put your hand under my thigh, and I will make you swear by Yahuah, the Elohim of heaven and the Elohim of the earth, that you will not take a wife for my son from the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I dwell; but you shall go to my country and to my family, and take a wife for my son Isaac.'"

I don't know about you, but I'm asking two questions here. Why the hand under the thigh? That seems a little weird. Then again, think about it, if Abraham and his servant experienced today's culture, they might be wondering "Why the hooked pinkies?" when we pinkie promise, or why we have paper in our strangely shaped cookies, or why a lot of girls wear pants instead of traditional skirts most of the time. It's a culture thing, we live in one culture, they lived in a completely different one. Question number two is, why does Abraham want his son to marry a family member? Isn't that just a little bit... icky? Again, it's a culture thing. They had super duper tightly knit families and outsiders weren't always the best influence, what with bringing in their idols and all that stuff.

Beresheet 24:5 "And the servant said to him, 'Perhaps the woman will not be willing to follow me to this land. Must I take your son back to the land from which you came?'"

The servant isn't sure if the woman would want to come back, so he's thinking maybe if she met Isaac, she'd follow. *Shrugs* Maybe he was cute. After all, his mother was gorgeous.

Beresheet 24:6-9 "But Abraham said to him, 'Beware that you do not take my son back there. Yahuah Elohim of heaven, who took me from my father's house and from the land of my family, and who spoke to me and swore to me, saying, 'To your descendants I give this land; He will send his angel before you, and you shall take a wife for my son from there. And if the woman is not willing to follow you, then you will be released from this oath; only do not take my son back there.' So the servant put his hand under the thigh of Abraham his master, and swore to him concerning this matter."

Hmm... Have you ever been on a blind date? It's basically something where your friends set you up on a date with somebody you've never met before because they think you'll like each other. This is kinda like that, except it's more like a blind marriage. Dates can be a one-time only thing if it doesn't work out... Marriage is permanent. The girl this servant is looking for is going to have to have a lot of faith in order to follow him back. Maybe that's why Abraham didn't want Isaac going back to his hometown.

Beresheet 24:10-15 "Then the servant took ten of his master's camels and departed, for all his master's goods were in his hand. And he arose and went to Mesopotamia, to the city of Nahor. And he made his camels kneel down outside the city by a well of water at evening time, the time when women go out to draw water. Then he said, 'Oh Yahuah Elohim of my master Abraham, please give me success this day, and show kindness to my master Abraham. Behold, here I stand by the well of water, and the daughters of the men of the city are coming out to draw water. Now let it be that the young woman to whom I say, "Please let down your pitcher that I may drink," and she says, "Drink, and I will also give your camels a drink" - let her be the one You have appointed for your servant Isaac. And by this I will know that You have shown kindness to my master.'"

What do you suppose the chances are that a young woman will say that? Giving him a sip of water is easy enough, but camels are pretty thirsty animals, they drink a LOT of water. It would be quite a chore to do for some random stranger. And another thing; she's gotta be related. Come on, guess the chances. Ten to one? A hundred to one? A thousand to one? A million to one? ...They probably didn't have a million people in the city... Let's stick with a thousand to one as max. How long do you suppose he'll be standing by that well? Hours? Days? Weeks? Until a security guard moves him?

Beresheet 24:15-17 "And it happened, before he had finished speaking, that behold, Rebekah, who was born to Bethuel, son of Milcah, the wife of Nahor, Abraham's brother, came out with her pitcher on her shoulder. Now the young woman was very beautiful to behold, a virgin; no man had known her. And she went down to the well, filled her pitcher, and came up. And the servant ran to meet her and said, 'Please let me drink a little water from your pitcher.'"

Try number one: Will it work? Her genealogy is good, though I doubt the servant knows it.

Beresheet 24:18-21 "So she said, 'Drink, my lord.' Then she quickly let her pitcher down to her hand, and gave him a drink. And when she had finished giving him a drink, she said, 'I will draw water for your camels also, until they have finished drinking.' Then she quickly emptied her pitcher into the trough, ran back to the well to draw water, and drew for all his camels. And the man, wondering at her, remained silent so as to know whether Yahuah had made his journey prosperous or not."

The girl did everything that the servant prayed for. The first girl he saw. She gave him and ten thirsty camels water. If that man wasn't a complete and total believer already, he sure is now! So there he's standing, won't say a word, mouth probably agape, watching this woman with the perfect genealogy (though he doesn't know it yet) doing exactly what he prayed for. Ever hear that phrase, match made in heaven? I'm pretty sure you won't get a much more heavenly match than this.

Beresheet 24:22-23 "So it was, when the camels had finished drinking, that the man took a golden nose ring weighing half a shekel, and two bracelets for her wrists weighing ten shekels of gold, and said, 'Whose daughter are you? Tell me, please, is there room in your father's house for us to lodge?'"

He just needs to know who she's related to so he can bring the right girl back to Isaac. She's already done exactly what he hoped for, now she needs to be exactly who he hopes she is.

Beresheet 24:24-25 "So she said to him, 'I am the daughter of Bethuel, Milcah's son, whom she bore to Nahor.' Moreover she said to him, 'We have both straw and feed enough, and room to lodge.'"

Remember my post from last time? Both Lot and Abraham were exceptionally good hosts to people who may have been perfect strangers. As is Rebekah. I'm guessing it really was good manners.

Beresheet 24:26-28 "Then the man bowed down his head and worshiped Yahuah. And he said, 'Blessed be Yahuah Elohim of my master Abraham, who has not forsaken His mercy and His truth toward my master. As for me, being on the way, Yahuah led me to the house of my master's brethren.' So the young woman ran and told her mother's household these things."

She has already passed two of four tests. The first and second being who she's related to and whether she'll give water to his camels. The third test is whether her parents will let her marry Isaac or not, and the fourth test will probably be whether she gets along with Isaac or not.

Beresheet 24:29-31 "Now Rebekah had a brother whose name was Laban, and Laban ran out to the man by the well. So it came to pass, when he saw the nose ring, and the bracelets on his sister's wrists, and when he heard the words of his sister Rebekah, saying, 'Thus the man spoke to man spoke to me,' that he went to the man. And there he stood by the camels at the well. And he said, 'Come in, O blessed of Yahuah! Why do you stand outside? For I have prepared the house, and a place for the camels.'"

So far it looks like the only thing Rebekah and her brother know so far is that Abraham sent a servant and he gave her some extravagant gifts. Yes, something is out of the ordinary, but no, they don't know what it is yet. At any rate, the hospitality level didn't change, they're still welcoming in the servant with open arms.

Beresheet 24:32-33 "Then the man came to the house. And he unloaded the camels, and provided straw and feed for the camels, and water to wash his feet and the feet of the men who were with him. Food was set before him to eat, but he said, 'I will not eat until I have told about my errand.' And he said, 'Speak on.'"

Here we have a man on a mission. He's playing matchmaker between two people who've never met and cutting straight to the chase, before even having dinner. Verses 34-48, he pretty much summarizes what he's been through thus far, so we'll pick up on verse 49.

Beresheet 24:49-53 "'Now if you will deal kindly and truly with my master, tell me. And if not, tell me, that I may turn to the right hand or to the left.' Then Laban and Bethuel answered and said, 'The thing comes from Yahuah; we cannot speak to you either bad or good. Here is Rebekah before you; take her and go, and let her be your master's son's wife, as Yahuah has spoken.' And it came to pass, when Abraham's servant heard their words, that he worshiped Yahuah, bowing himself to the earth. Then the servant brought out jewelry of silver, jewelry of gold, and clothing, and gave them to Rebekah. He also gave precious things to her brother and to her mother."

He told them why he was there, and made his request, and they said yes. That's all there really is too it. He gave nice things to everyone, and it looks like they are to leave in the morning. I wonder, do you think girls were allowed to choose their husbands way back when? Does Rebekah get any say in this?

Beresheet 24:54-58 "And he and the men who were with him ate and drank and stayed all night. Then they arose in the morning, and he said, 'Send me away to my master.' But her brother and her mother said, 'Let the young woman stay with us a few days, at least ten; after that she may go.' And he said to them, 'Do not hinder me, since Yahuah has prospered my way; send me away so that I may go to my master.' So they said, 'We will call the young woman and ask her personally.' Then they called Rebekah and said to her, 'Will you go with this man?' And she said, 'I will go.'"

Tests three of four are complete, and Rebekah did get a say in it, whaddya know! Anyway, Rebekah's family wants her to stick around for a little while to prepare, but Abraham's servant wants to make haste. Rebekah gets a choice, and she chooses to meet her new fiance. Remember that blind marriage thing? Isaac is cool with it, and now Rebekah agrees, let's find out how it goes.

Beresheet 24:59-61 "So they sent away Rebekah their sister and her nurse, and Abraham's servant and his men. And they blessed Rebekah and said to her: 'Our sister, may you become The mother of thousands of ten thousands; And may your descendants possess The gates of those who hate them.' Then Rebekah and her maids arose, and they rode on the camels and followed the man. So the servant took Rebekah and departed."

Well, that was the hard part, now the servant's just got to get Isaac and Rebekah to meet. Who knows, maybe this will all be for nothing, after all, Isaac's mom just died. That's not something you just get over. Here we have a man who might still be mourning for his mother and you want him to get married?

Beresheet 24:62-67 "Now Isaac came from the way of Beer Lahai Roi, for he dwelt in the South. And Isaac went out to meditate in the field in the evening; and he lifted his eyes and looked, and there, the camels were coming. Then Rebekah lifted her eyes and when she saw Isaac she dismounted from her camel; for she had said to the servant, 'Who is this man walking in the field to meet us?' The servant said, 'It is my master.' So she took a veil and covered herself. And the servant told Isaac all the things that he had done. Then Isaac brought her into his mother Sarah's tent; and he took Rebekah and she became his wife, and he loved her. So Isaac was comforted after his mother's death."

Test 4/4, passed. I dare you to find a better love story. One that spells out "match made in heaven" and "love at first sight" better than this. I highly doubt you'll find one. Chapter 25 starts out with more genealogies and gets interesting again at verse 21. Something important within that section I'm skipping is Abraham's death. He died at 175 and was buried with Sarah.

Beresheet 25:21-23 "Now Isaac pleaded with Yahuah for his wife, because she was barren; and Yahuah granted his plea, and Rebekah his wife conceived. But the children struggled together within her; and she said, 'If all is well, why am I like this?' So she went to inquire of Yahuah. And Yahuah said to her: 'Two  nations are in your womb, Two peoples shall be separated from your body; One people shall be stronger than the other, and the older shall serve the younger.'"

A mother with one kid might complain that her child was a soccer player because he or she kicked so much before being born, so imagine what a mother of twins would complain of! Another thing to note in this passage is this: since when does the older serve the younger? That just doesn't happen very often. What's up with that? Hmm... I guess we shall have to see.

Beresheet 25:24-28 "So when her days were fulfilled for her to give birth, indeed there were twins in her womb. And the first came out red. He was like a hairy garment all over; so they called his name Esau. Afterward his brother came out, and his hand took hold of Esau's heel; so his name was called Jacob. Isaac was sixty years old when she bore them. So the boys grew. And Esau was a skillful hunter, a man of the field; but Jacob was a mild man, dwelling in tents. And Isaac loved Esau because he ate of his game, but Rebekah loved Jacob."

Uh-Oh! Who else smells trouble brewing? Remember the last sibling rivalry we read about? That one didn't turn out very good. Is this one doomed to follow in the footsteps of the last one? Or shall the brothers manage to live in peace? It's especially hard to tell when the parents are playing favorites.

Beresheet 25:29-34 "Now Jacob cooked a stew; and Esau came in from the field, and he was weary. And Esau said to Jacob, 'Please feed me with that same red stew, for I am weary.' Therefore his name was called Edom. But Jacob said, 'Sell me your birthright as of this day.' And Esau said, 'Look, I am about to die, so what is this birthright to me?' Then Jacob said, 'Swear to me as of this day.' So he swore to him, and sold his birthright to Jacob. And Jacob gave Esau bread and stew of lentils; then he ate and drank, arose, and went his way. Thus Esau despised his birthright."

Anybody know what a birthright is? It's an inheritance. The eldest brother gets the largest portion of the father's inheritance. Esau just sold his inheritance to his brother for a bowl of stew and some bread. Once Esau realizes what he's done, what do you think he's going to do? Chapter 26 opens with Isaac moving over to where Abimelech still lives due to another famine. Guess what Isaac does with Rebekah. Just take a wild guess. He tells her to tell anyone who asks that she's his sister. Who here has been paying attention these past couple days? This has happened before and it's never gone over well with any kings. This time however, Isaac got caught "showing endearment" to Rebekah, so Abimelech pretty much asked him the same thing he asked his father; "What was going through your head?" and made it so that anyone who touched Isaac or Rebekah would be executed. There were some problems between Isaac's servants and Abimelech's people, so Isaac moved out again. Abimelech made a covenant that they would remain on good terms, and towards the end of the chapter, Esau married two women that "were a grief of mind to Isaac and Rebekah."

Beresheet 27:1-4 "Now it came to pass, when Isaac was old and his eyes were so dim that he could not see, that he called Esau his older son and said to him, 'My son.' And he answered him, 'Here I am.' Then he said, 'Behold now, I am old. I do not know the day of my death. Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me. And make me savory food, such as I love, and bring it to me that I may eat, that my soul may bless you before I die.'"

Remember that business with the birthright? Isaac doesn't necessarily know about it, so he's getting ready to give Esau his inheritance and blessing.

Beresheet 27:5-10 "Now Rebekah was listening when Isaac spoke to Esau his son. And Esau went to the field to hunt game and to bring it. So Rebekah spoke to Jacob her son, saying, 'Indeed I heard your father speak to Esau your brother, saying, "Bring me game and make savory food for me, that I may eat it and bless you in the presence of Yahuah before my death." Now therefore, my son, obey my voice according to what I command you. Go now to the flock and bring me from there two choice kids of the goats, and I will make savory food from them for your father, such as he loves. Then you shall take it to your father, that he may eat it, and that he may bless you before his death.'"

Jacob was Rebekah's favorite, remember? He's got his mom on his side, that should cut the amount of time to prepare the food in half since he doesn't even have to hunt for it.

Beresheet 27:11-12 "And Jacob said to Rebekah his mother, 'Look, Esau my brother is a hairy man, and I am a smooth-skinned man. Perhaps my father will feel me, and I shall seem to be a deceiver to him; and I shall bring a curse on myself and not a blessing.'"

Excellent point. Too bad he won't just seem to be a deciever, he will be a deciever. His mom has an idea about that, though.

Beresheet 27:13-17 "But his mother said to him, 'Let your curse be on me, my son; only obey my voice, and go, get them for me.' And he went and got them and brought them to his mother, and his mother made savory food, such as his father loved. Then Rebekah took the choice clothes of her elder son Esau, which were with her in the house, and put them on Jacob her younger son. And she put the skins of the kids of the goats on his hands and on the smooth part of his neck. Then she gave the savory food and the bread, which she had prepared, into the hand of her son Jacob."

Things may be going well in the deception of the blind father part, but it looks like we'll have another set of older brother hating younger brother pretty soon.

Beresheet 27:18-20 "So he went to his father and said, 'My father.' And he said, 'Here I am. Who are you, my son?' Jacob said to his father, 'I am Esau your firstborn; I have done just as you told me; please arise, sit and eat of my game, that your soul may bless me.' But Isaac said to his son, 'How is it that you have found it so quickly, my son?' And he said, 'Because Yahuah your Elohim brought it to me.'"

Isaac is no fool. He knows his sons when he sees them, the problem is, he can't see them.

Beresheet 27:21-24 "Isaac said to Jacob, 'Please come near, that I may feel you, my son, whether you are really my son Esau or not.' So Jacob went near to Isaac his father, and he felt him and said, 'The voice is Jacob's voice, but the hands are the hands of Esau.' And he did not recognize him, because his hands were hairy like his brother Esau's hands; so he blessed him. Then he said, 'Are you really my son Esau?' He said, 'I am.'"

Isaac was probably pretty confused about Jacob right now, but he brought food and he felt like Esau and the only thing not like Esau was his voice, so he took the food and blessed him.

Beresheet 27:25-29 "He said, 'Bring it near to me, and I will eat of my son's game, so that my soul may bless you.' So he brought it near to him, and he ate; and he brought him wine, and he drank. Then his father Isaac said to him, 'Come near now and kiss me, my son.' And he came near and kissed him; and he smelled the smell of his clothing, and blessed him and said: 'Surely the smell of my son Is like the smell of a field Which Yahuah has blessed. Therefore may Elohim give you Of the dew of heaven, Of the fatness of the earth, And plenty of grain and wine. Let peoples serve you, And nations bow down to you. Be master over your brethren, And let your mother's sons bow down to you. Cursed be everyone who curses you, And blessed be those who bless you!'"

How's that for a blessing? It's not often you hear one to rival that one. Unfortunately, without knowing it, Isaac just gave lots of power to the younger brother. That's not what he intended to do, so now Jacob gets Esau's blessing and his birthright. Esau is gonna be ticked.

Beresheet 27:30-32 "Now it happened, as soon as Isaac had finished blessing Jacob, and Jacob had scarcely gone out from the presence of Isaac his father, that Esau his brother came in from his hunting. He also had made savory food, and brought it to his father, and said to his father, 'Let my father arise and eat of his son's game, that your soul may bless me.' And his father Isaac said to him, 'Who are you?' So he said, 'I am your son, your firstborn, Esau.'"

Cue the uh-oh! Isaac made a mistake! Jacob tricked him and now he knows it for sure! But it's too late. What's there to do for Esau?

Beresheet 27:33-37 "Then Isaac trembled exceedingly, and said, 'Who? Where is the one who hunted game and brought it to me? I ate all of it before you came, and I have blessed him - and indeed he shall be blessed.' When Esau heard the words of his father, he cried with an exceedingly great and bitter cry, and said to his father, 'Bless me - me also, O my father!' But he said, 'Your brother came with deceit and has taken away your blessing.' And Esau said, 'Is he not rightly named Jacob? For he has supplanted me these two times. He took away my birthright, and now look, he has taken away my blessing!' And he said, 'Have you not reserved a blessing for me?' Then Isaac answered and said to Esau, 'Indeed I have made him your master, and all his brethren I have given to him as servants; with grain and wine I have sustained him. What shall I do now for you, my son?'"

This is probably about the time Isaac started wishing he had treated his boys more equally. Had he done so, Esau and Jacob would've had shares that are not quite so glaringly different. Jacob wasn't meant to get the special birthright, and a special blessing wasn't even prepared for him. What can be done for Esau now?

Beresheet 27:38-40 "And Esau said to his father, 'Have you only one blessing, my father? Bless me - me also, O my father!' And Esau lifted up his voice and wept. Then Isaac his father answered and said to him: 'Behold, your dwelling shall be of the fatness of the earth, And of the dew of heaven from above. By the sword you shall live, And you shall serve your brother; and it shall come to pass, when you become restless, That you shall break his yoke from your neck.'"

Is this the blessing Isaac intended for Jacob? Or did he just come up with it?

Beresheet 27:41 "So Esau hated Jacob because of the blessing with which his father blessed him, and Esau said in his heart, 'The days of mourning for my father are at hand; then I will kill my brother Jacob.'"

Another sibling rivalry run amuck. What's with the playing favorites? Esau and Jacob were twins, they could've split the big inheritance, couldn't they? But no. Now Jacob has it all and Esau hates him for it.

Beresheet 27:42-45 "And the words of Esau her older son were told to Rebekah. So she sent and called Jacob her younger son, and said to him, 'Surely your brother Esau comforts himself concerning you by intending to kll you. Now therefore, my son, obey my voice: arise, flee to my brother Laban in Haran. And stay with him a few days, until your brother's fury turns away, until your brother's anger turns away from you, and he forgets what you have done to him; then I will send and bring you from there. Why should I be bereaved also of you both in one day?'"

Rebekah gives some sound advice, run for the hills. Well, maybe not the hills, but Haran, anyway. Family there will keep you safe. Come back when your brother calms down. She also instructs to choose a wife that isn't one of the daughters of Heth. Isaac agrees and has him choose one of Laban's daughters.

Beresheet 28:3-5 "May Yahuah Almighty bless you, And make you fruitful and multiply you, that you may be an assembly of peoples; And give you the blessing of Abraham, To you and your descendants with you, That you may inherit the land In which you are a stranger, Which Elohim gave to Abraham.'" So Isaac sent Jacob away, and he went to Padan Aram, to Laban the son of Bethuel the Syrian, the brother of Rebekah, the mother of Jacob and Esau.

Even after all this, Isaac still loves Jacob and sends him off with his blessing. The final part of this reading involves Esau marrying someone from within the family that he believes his parents will prefer, so maybe his wives won't be so vexing to them.

Stuff to do: Look up what the names Rebekah, Laban, Esau, Jacob, and the names of Esau's wives mean and see if they match up with who they are. Here's the link.

Tomorrow's reading is Genesis (Beresheet) 28:10-30

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for helping me make a blog spot!!!
    Now I can comment on yours. So good to see your studies in the Word!

    ReplyDelete