Saturday, October 8, 2011

Jacob and Esau Meet Again

Today's reading is from Beresheet (Genesis) chapter 33.

Beresheet 33:1-3 "Now Jacob lifted his eyes and looked, and there, Esau was coming, and with him were four hundred men. So he divided the children among Leah, Rachel, and the two maidservants. And he put the maidservants and their children in front, Leah and her children behind, and Rachel and Joseph last. Then he crossed over before them and bowed himself to the ground seven times, until he came near to his brother."

Now why do you suppose he would do something like that? We know Jacob and Esau weren't exactly on good terms when Jacob fled (to say the least), but is he afraid Esau is still out for his blood? Sure looks like it. You notice how he arranged his family, with the maidservants up front, nearest where he will eventually meet Esau, Leah in the middle, and his beloved Rachel in the back? Is that his way of doing his best to protect those closest to him?

Beresheet 33:4-5a "But Esau ran to meet him, and embraced him, and fell on his neck and kissed him, and they wept. And he lifted his eyes and saw the women and children, and said, 'Who are these with you?'"

Crisis averted!!

Beresheet 33:5b-7 "So he said, 'The children whom Elohim has graciously given your servant.' Then the maidservants came near, they and their children, and bowed down. And Leah also came near with her children, and they bowed down. Afterward Joseph and Rachel came near, and they bowed down."

It's safe to say that their bowing is a sign of respect, not of worship. This reminds me of my martial arts classes, the teacher, Master Chang, had all his students give a small bow before sparring, as a sign of mutual respect. We also bowed when entering and leaving the dojo (studio).

Beresheet 33:8-11 "Then Esau said, 'What do you mean by all this company which I met?' And he said, 'These are to find favor in the sight of my lord.' But Esau said, 'I have enough, my brother. Keep what you have for yourself.' And Jacob said, 'No, please, if I have now found favor in your sight, then receive my present from my hand, inasmuch as I have seen your face as though I had seen the face of Elohim, and you were pleased with me. Please, take my blessing that is brought to you, because Elohim has dealt graciously with me, and because I have enough.' So he urged him, and he took it."

Remember the servants Jacob sent ahead with all that livestock? That's what Esau's asking about here. Why give him so much when he already has enough? Jacob wanted to create peace, hence the presents.

Beresheet 33:12-14 "Then Esau said, 'Let us take our journey, let us go, and I will go before you.' But Jacob said to him, 'My lord knows that the children are weak, and the flocks and herds which are nursing are with me. And if the men should drive them hard one day, all the flock will die. Please let my lord go on ahead before his servant. I will lead on slowly at a pace which the livestock that go before me, and the children, are able to endure, until I come to my lord in Seir.'"

This is a legitimate concern. For all we know, Esau brought the four hundred men and no women or children. Even though his own new livestock would probably slow him down a bit too, Jacob's marching with toddlers. He has to let the weak set his pace, even if it doesn't match the pace of the welcoming party.

Beresheet 33:15-17 "And Esau said, 'Now let me leave with you some of the people who are with me.' But he said, What need is there? Let me find favor in the sight of my lord.' So Esau returned that day on his way to Seir. And Jacob journeyed to Succoth, built himself a house, and made booths for his livestock. Therefore the name of the place is called Succoth."

You may think Jacob is being a suck-up to his (slightly) older brother with all this "my lord" business, but if you think about it for a moment, you may remember that the eldest son got the greatest portion of the inheritance, he's the one who gets the perks. Jacob's simply giving him the respect he didn't give him when they were younger. He might be going a bit overboard, I'm certainly no expert on ancient Hebrew traditions, but his number one goal is to make peace with the man who wanted him dead. Also, little fun-fact, Succoth is literally translated to mean "booths".

Beresheet 33:18-20 "Then Jacob came safely to the city of Shechem, which is in the land of Canaan, when he came from Padan Aram; and he pitched his tent before the city. And he bought the parcel of land, where he had pitched his tent, from the children of Hamor, Shechem's father, for one hundred pieces of money. Then he erected an altar there and called it El Elohe Israel."

It looks like the world is still so new that if you go to a town, you could very well learn that the person the town is named for is still alive! Lifespans were still declining from the olden days, when people could live to over 900, but a town doesn't need to be 900 years old to be a decent sized place.

And thus, the chapter has ended. The estranged brothers are reunited, and all is well. In the spirit of happy family reunions and general peacefulness, I have a song for you to check out. Look up "Hold Us Together" by Matt Maher. You can try Youtube, but I've found I like Grooveshark better.

Shalom!

-Kj

No comments:

Post a Comment